Saturday, October 11, 2014

Musings of a First Time Expectant Mom via Gestational Surrogacy with a BFF (post by jessi)

  • In contrast to Maggie’s previous post about whittling down the unused belongings in her house, my house has exploded with baby paraphernalia.  I had no idea there was so much gear associated with childrearing.  Actually, I knew there was a lot of baby stuff out there but I thought I’d be that thrifty minimalist mom who’d immediately identify an item as frivolous versus the absolutely essential.  NEWS FLASH from the Department of DUH:  We have no idea what we’re doing.  If a friend offers us something, we’re taking it unless we already have something similar.  I would hate to have to buy something later that a friend offered us for free now.  So yeah, our basement is full of random things BGJ will most likely use at some point in her early years. Here's to hoping the wolf spiders don't nest in any of it.  
[Off topic rant - in the fall of last year I grabbed a coat from the basement closet because it was a little cool that morning.  Then, as I was driving 75 mph on the interstate, a GIANT wolf spider crawled out from under my sleeve and onto my hand.  It's nothing short of a miracle that I'm alive to tell you the story today.]
  • We’re also in a hand-me-down train with my dear friend Erin who has two daughters, one who was born in November last year.  Every time I see her she shoves a bag of clothes in my face.  I can tell that this arrangement is going to work out well for both of us. 
  • Does anyone actually fold newborn clothes?  I tried for half a second and then realized it's a futile effort.  They're now shoved in the drawers of the changing table.  Don't judge.  Also, those itty bitty socks are already driving me nuts.  Babe's going to wear mismatched socks until she's 5.
  • Speaking of baby clothes, I never really noticed how cute and adorable they are until I started envisioning my own child in them.  At my baby shower, I was schooled on Dreft.  How is it that I’ve never even heard of it before?  Anyway, the Seventh Generation Free and Clear soap was cheaper so I went with that.  I’ve washed all of the clothes, sheets, blankets, etc.  You guys, even the lint is adorable!
  • Our days of keeping the house at a cool 62 degrees and sleeping with the bedroom window open in the dead of winter will soon be over.  I tried explaining this to Benny a few nights ago and he pretended to be asleep.  Jokes on you, sucka!  You're going to pretend to sleep for the unforeseeable future.
  • Last night I got this.  
    I quickly took this picture, sent it to Maggie and then haphazardly taped it to the fridge. I woke this morning to a reply from her that said “That is amazing! You should save it forever.” So naturally, I marched right over to the fridge, carefully peeled it off and proceeded to laminate it before I even started the coffee machine. I then realized that for the rest of my life, I will do whatever Maggie says. Let’s all hope she uses her power for good, not evil.
  • I tried on the Boba wrap this week.  The picture on the box is a lie. 
NAILED IT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment