Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Like a Rock (post by Jessi)



Two weeks ago, I started self-administering Lovenox injections.  Lovenox is an anti-coagulation drug which helps prevent and/or dissolve blot clots.  It’s the devil.  These injections are shot into the lower belly and it feels like molasses mixed with hot sauce and flesh-eating fire ants.  Not only does it hurt like the dickens going in (OMG, did I really just use the term "dickens"?), but you continue to feel the burn for twenty minutes following.  The area around the injection site becomes very sore while the skin and fatty tissue beneath is hard, like a rock, for days following.  

There’s something completely unnatural about giving yourself injections – especially when they’re this painful.  Shots are supposed to be given by someone else, right?  You, the patient, should just sit quietly while the nurse prepares the needle, the injection site, jabs you with it and pushes the plunger while you squeeze your eyes and fists closed, holding your breath just waiting for it to be over.  There is no such luxury with self-administering shots.  I get everything ready to go and there’s always a moment of hesitation, this tiny little voice that cries out “noooooo! Why are you doing this to yourself?  It’s going to hurt, BAD!” but then you self-talk yourself into stabbing yourself with the needle and pushing the plunger.  After it’s finished, I feel an overwhelming sense of relief that it’s done, at least until the next twelve hours rolls around.

Ever wondered what $2,100 worth of IVF medications looked like?
 About a week ago, I started the hormone injections.  Dr Davenport explained that while on these drugs I would experience intense PMS symptoms.  He said this was going to be a very emotional time for me as my hormone levels would be higher than ever and I’d probably be uncomfortable from the ovary stimulation.  Surprisingly enough, I haven’t been the raging bitch I expected to be – comment at your own risk.  However, I’m running out of real estate on my belly and looking forward to the end of these injections. 
2 things in this picture are hard as a rock. Shotgun wedding anyone?

And finally, I can’t help but notice the irony in the timing of the next two weeks:

  • 10/29:  Benny’s sister, Jay, turns 40 today.  Happy birthday Jay!!!!
  • 10/30:  Maggie The Carrier turns 34.  Happy birthday to our beautiful and brave baby belly momma!
  • 10/31:  Nurse Mo turns 36.  Happy birthday to our sweet, dear nurse who spends most of her time with whacked out, hormonal women!
  • 11/1:  Our BFF, Kate Jerman, turns 34.  Happy birthday Kate!  I promise not to call you at 7am Eastern Time (3am your time) because I will be headed into the operating room for EGG RETRIEVAL!
  • 11/4:  Our other BFF, Erin Massey Armstrong, has a scheduled C-Section for baby #2!  Happy birthday Baby Armstrong #2!
  • And sometime next week, a happy little embryo will transfer to Maggie for the next 39 weeks. 
 



3 comments:

  1. I am so happy for u all, You have a fantastic friend to do what she is doing for you. I pray that everything goes smoothly for the both of you I will keep my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly Love you bunches Aunt Pamela


    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy the process is moving along! You all must be very excited. And congratulations on the 2nd rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessi- This is so exciting! I am a lovenox grad myself-- BRUTAL! I am so happy for you all!!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete