Thursday, February 13, 2014

Stupid Sarah McLaughlin (post by jessi)



Wow, we are really slacking with this blog thing.  Truth is:  I’m a lazy writer.  It’s not my favorite thing to do.  I even had a full-blown writing meltdown during the first week of grad school in 2010.  Write, write, write, research, read, and write some more.  You couldn’t PAY me to go back and relive that misery.

So here’s a little update on where we’re at – (see what I did there, Mo?  I ended a sentence with a preposition.  Is your blood boiling now?)

Maggie has been in uterus-shutdown-mode for a few weeks now.  This is otherwise described as hanging out in perimenopause land at the end of your rope with no chocolate or wine in sight mode.  She’s been on birth control pills, Lupron injections (shots in the belly) and Estrogen patches.  I think all of our readers will agree with me when I say that hormones are bad enough in naturally occurring doses so take a moment and consider what it must feel like to be all jacked up on crazy-lady hormones.  I texted her yesterday to check in on how’s she’s feeling and got this response: 

That’s equivocal to the old adage my dad always says which is:  “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”  Or in Maggie’s case, keep it brief or break the iPhone screen whilst texting how she really feels.  

In the midst of all of this, she’s also getting ready to instruct for the first time at the 6th Annual WHBW Zumbathon on March 22nd.  Here’s a link to here fundraising page.  Go ahead, make her day.  

I’ve also been pumping myself full of drugs in preparation for the egg retrieval sometime this weekend or early next week.  This time around, we reduced the dosage since I responded too quickly last time.  Things have been going much more smoothly and I’m now on day 7 of stimulation.  At my last check up on Wednesday, I had 7 follicles all around the same size which is a good improvement because last time I only had 3 follicles around the same size. 

I’m a little more symptomatic with this stimulation than I was with the first which is weird because the dosage is lower but I think it must have something to do with the fact that I never, in a million years, thought I would have to do this retrieval prep again.  My ovaries feel like water balloons, my belly is swollen and sore from the shots, I hate all my pants and if I see one more story of an abused or wrongfully killed animal I'M GOING TO LOSE MY FRICKEN MIND!  I fully support awareness, people, but enough of the graphic shit on pitbulls and giraffes.  And while I’m at it - screw you and your stupid commercial, Sarah McLaughlin!

No comments:

Post a Comment